I used Cherry Tomatoes from our backyard garden…
I found this recipe on Martha Stewart’s site and it was so pretty that I just had to try.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 finely chopped shallot, about 1/4 cup
- 1 small zucchini, 7 1/2 ounces, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick half moons
- 1 1/2 pounds cherry tomatoes, plus cherry tomatoes on the vine for garnish
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces bocconcini
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Cheese Short Crust, made with Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 large egg yolk
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add shallot; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add zucchini; cook, stirring occasionally, until light golden and liquid has been released, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; set aside.
Halve one-third of the tomatoes. Stir halved and whole tomatoes, cheeses, basil, lemon zest, flour, and sugar into shallot-zucchini mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to a 13-inch circle, about 1/4-inch thick. Make seven 3-inch-long cuts around edge of dough, evenly spacing. Trim to make 7 rounded flaps. Transfer to a 10-inch pie plate. Drizzle crust with remaining tablespoon oil. Spread with filling. Fold in flaps of crust, slightly overlapping. Put tomatoes on the vine in center. Refrigerate until cold, about 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Whisk cream and egg yolk in a small bowl. Brush crust with egg wash. Bake pie on a rimmed baking sheet until crust is golden brown and juices are bubbling, about 45 minutes.
Cheese Short Crust
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup grated manchego or Parmesan cheese
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3/4 cup cold (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water
Pulse flour, cheese, sugar, salt, and butter in a food processor until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add egg yolk; pulse to combine. With processor running, drizzle in 1/4 cup water until dough just comes together. (If dough is still crumbly, add up to 1/4 cup more water, 1 tablespoon at a time.) Do not process for more than 20 seconds. Wrap in plastic. Refrigerate until cold, about 30 minutes.